Solar power simply allows you to convert
light from the sun into electricity.
Solar power works by converting light from the sun into electricity. This electricity can then be used in your home, sent to the grid or stored in a home solar battery.
Here's how it works
- Solar panel cells on your roof convert sunlight into electricity.
- The electricity produced by your solar panels is directed to an inverter where it is converted into power that can used in your home.
- Your inverter will ensure that you’ll always use your own solar power first and only access additional electricity from the grid when you need it.
- Your electricity network provider will install a 'meterset' that allows electricity to flow two-ways and measures and records the electricity you use from the grid, the excess electricity you produce and what you send back into the grid.
- Your power bills will then reflect the lower amounts of electricity you buy from the grid plus credits earned from the unused electricity produced by your solar power system that has been sent back into the grid.
The best thing about a modern solar power system is that it’s all automatic and does everything for you. You’ll never have to turn it on or off or switch between solar power and the electricity grid. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy the benefits of cheaper, clean solar energy to power your home.